2018 Ballot Initiatives
The following issues will be on the ballot in South Dakota in 2018:
- Constitutional Amendment Y: An amendment to the Constitution of the State of South Dakota, to revise certain provisions relating to the rights of crime victims. This measure was on the primary ballot on June 5, 2018, and was approved by voters with 80% voting in favor and 20% against.
- Constitutional Amendment W: An initiated amendment to the South Dakota Constitution changing campaign finance and lobbying laws, creating a government accountability board, and changing certain initiative and referendum provisions. SDRA's Board of Directors has voted to oppose W, and urges you to VOTE NO ON W.
- Constitutional Amendment X (SJR 1): An amendment to the Constitution of the State of South Dakota requiring 55% voter approval to adopt an amendment to the Constitution. SDRA's Board of Directors has voted to support X, and urges you to VOTE YES ON X.
- Constitutional Amendment Z (HJR 1006): An amendment to the Constitution of the State of South Dakota, requiring proposed amendments to the Constitution to pertain to one subject.
- Initiated Measure 24: An initiated measure prohibiting contributions to ballot question committees by non-residents, out-of-state political committees, and entities that are not filed with the Secretary of State. SDRA's Board of Directors has voted to oppose IM 24, and urges you to VOTE NO ON 24.
- Initiated Measure 25: An initiated measure increasing the State tobacco tax and creating a postsecondary technical institute fund for the purposes of lowering student tuition and providing financial support to the State postsecondary technical institutes. SDRA's Board of Directors has voted to oppose IM 25, and urges you to VOTE NO ON 25.
- Initiated Measure 26: An initiated measure establishing a cap on the price a State Agency may pay for a prescription drug. (NOTE: This measure is currently being challenged. A court hearing is scheduled August 1, 2018.) SDRA's Board of Directors has voted to oppose IM 26, and urges you to VOTE NO ON 26.
Read more about these issues on the South Dakota Secretary of State's website at https://sdsos.gov/elections-voting/upcoming-elections/general-information/2018-ballot-questions.aspx