SDRA Members Receive Funding to Expand ApprenticeshipsSouth Dakota Retailers Association - South Dakota Department of Labor and Regulation 11/14/2018
Four SDRA members are among the businesses that have received a total of $510,000 in incentive funding from the South Dakota Department of Labor and Regulation (DLR). The program is designed to help businesses expand the number of pre-apprenticeships and Registered Apprenticeships in South Dakota.
The announcement was made at the Start Today SD Summit held at Mitchell Technical Institute on Tuesday, November 13. Businesses could apply for up to a maximum of $30,000 in funding to help offset the initial start-up costs when developing a new program.
“Registered Apprenticeships are a great way for businesses to build a quality workforce with the exact skills they need to fill their openings,” said state DLR Secretary Marcia Hultman. “Through this incentive funding, we intend to add 200 active apprentices by the fall of 2020.”
SDRA members participating in the incentive program include LIV Hospitality of Rapid City; Scott Peterson Motors of Belle Fourche and Sturgis; Midstates, Inc. of Aberdeen, and RTEC, Inc. of Yankton. The complete list of incentive recipients is shown below.
For more information on how apprenticeships can help you build a skilled workforce in your business, visit https://www.starttodaysd.com/businesses
Incentive funding recipients for pre-apprenticeships:
- Aberdeen Fire and Rescue, Aberdeen, Healthcare, $10,000
- Huron Regional Medical Center, Huron, Healthcare, $10,000
- Northeast Technical High School, Watertown Area, Advanced Manufacturing, $10,000
- Paramedics Logistics SD LLC, Sioux Falls, Healthcare, $10,000
- RTEC Inc., Yankton, Advanced Manufacturing, $10,000
- Yankton County EMS, Yankton, Healthcare, $10,000
Incentive funding recipients for Registered Apprenticeships:
- Aberdeen Fire and Rescue, Aberdeen, Healthcare, $20,000
- Applied Engineering Inc., Yankton, Advanced Manufacturing, $26,000
- Bear Butte Gardens, Sturgis, Agriculture, $28,000
- Dynamic Engineering, Watertown, Advanced Manufacturing, $30,000
- Howe Inc., Sioux Falls, Construction/Building Trades, $14,000
- Huron Regional Medical Center, Huron, Healthcare, $30,000
- Independent Health Solutions LLC, Huron, Healthcare, $28,000
- Lake Area Technical Institute, Watertown, Advanced Manufacturing, $20,000
- LemmonMade Inc., Lemmon, Agriculture, $26,000
- Liv Hospitality, Black Hills Area, Hospitality, $28,000
- Midstates Inc., Aberdeen, Service and Repair, $30,000
- Paramedics Logistics SD LLC, Sioux Falls, Healthcare, $20,000
- RTEC Inc., Yankton, Advanced Manufacturing, $30,000
- Scott Peterson Motors, Belle Fourche, Service and Repair, $26,000
- Select Construction Inc., Rapid City, Construction/Building Trades, $28,000
- Sturgis Brewery Company, Sturgis, Agriculture, $26,000
- Yankton County EMS, Yankton, Healthcare, $20,000
Programs designed to increase engagement for under-represented populations such as females, Native Americans, limited-English proficient individuals, youth ages 16 to 24 and individuals with disabilities was also given priority.
DLR was recently awarded an $847,700 State Apprenticeship Expansion Grant from the U.S. Department of Labor’s ApprenticeshipUSA program.