South Dakota businesses which sell alcohol are advised to provide approved training to their employees. Why? Because if your establishment is caught selling alcohol to an underage person, your business will be fined, and the penalty is doubled if the employee who sold the alcohol has not been through an approved training program. (Upon a third violation within a 24-month period, the establishment's alcohol license will be suspended for a period of time). It is also just plain good business practice to train your employees about alcohol and tobacco laws, how to handle underage buyers, and the consequences of illegal sales.
Online Alcohol Training
Employees can conveniently self-train right at their computer
South Dakota Retailers Association offers convenient online ServSafe® Alcohol training. This course is designed for on-sale businesses, but off-sale businesses may also use the program. It includes a South Dakota Supplement that can be printed or downloaded. In South Dakota, ServSafe Alcohol training is valid for 4 years. This program has been approved by the South Dakota Department of Revenue.
How to sign up and pay for ServSafe® Alcohol:
- Go to https://www.servsafe.com/ServSafe-Alcohol.
- Scroll down to view the map, then click on South Dakota.
- Select SSA Online Course & Primary Exam.
- Click Add to Shopping Cart.
- If you are an SDRA member, you're entitled to 20% off the regular price. On the shopping cart page, in the coupon code field, enter the special member code then click on Apply Coupon Code. (Call SDRA for your members-only code: 800.658.5545.)
- Complete payment process.
- You will receive a purchase confirmation email. It will include an Exam Access Code that you will need when taking the exam. NOTE: Exam access codes can only be used once and are non-refundable.
To take the ServSafe® Alcohol training:
- Under the Students tab, select Take Online Course.
- Click Launch next to the ServSafe Alcohol Course.
- At some point before, during or immediately after the training, be sure to click on the South Dakota Supplement link. Download or print the Supplement, and review the information.
To take the ServSafe® Alcohol exam:
- You must complete the course prior to taking the exam.
- Under the Students tab, select Take Online Exam.
- Select the South Dakota Alcohol Exam.
- In the field provided, enter your Exam Access Code from your purchase confirmation email.
- Click Continue to start your Exam.
To access your ServSafe® Alcohol scores:
- Under the Students tab, select Check Your Exam Score.
- Click the Number next to your ServSafe Alcohol Course and Exam.
- If you receive a passing score, you will receive a certificate via email.
Pricing for ServSafe® Alcohol:
- SDRA members receive a 20% discount, and pay just $24 per person! (Call SDRA at 800.658.5545 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org for the members-only code.)
- The regular price for ServSafe Alcohol training (for nonmembers) is $30 per person.